What is a call to action?
Calls to action are a particular phrase used in your online content to motivate people to act in a particular way.
They are often a sublime message, and can be as simple as listing your website details and pricing information, or can be more intensified by being splashed upon a colourful button or displayed in a certain text or image combination such as an arrow.
However you choose to display your call to action, it must tell your website visitors what to do next, and motivate them to click and act immediately.
Why are calls to action important?
You don’t want people to think!
Unless you clearly show your online audience what to do next, and provide them with the motivation to act immediately, chances are the visitors to your website will click away from your content. Which means you have lost a hard fought chance at nabbing a conversion.
Don’t let your audience slip through your fingers. Maximise your chances of obtaining more conversions with compelling calls to action that get your online audience following through your conversion process.
How? Show them!
Show them where to sign up for your newsletter, follow your Facebook page, share your tweet, buy your product, join up to your program, or sign up for that free trial. A majority of digital marketers agree that to strengthen marketing, it is important to use calls to action.
It could be with a link, in a pop-up window or sidebar, or a place to input your details in the footer, in video content, or even in your article headline, but an effective call to action shows the reader what crucial step they need to make.
This is because ideally, a call to action is simply the next logical progression in the client’s experience with you.
Here are some examples of calls to action that tell a visitor how to act next:
- Buy Now
- Join Us Today
- Sign Up
- Download Now
- Get Your Free Trial
- Claim This Offer
Our best tips for writing a call to action?
- They must be compelling and create a sense of urgency so your reader is motivated to act immediately
- Fit your call to action to the context of the content – a call to action must be relevant to the content
- Your call to action must tell the reader exactly what to do, for example “just follow this link”
- Locate your call to action in a prominent position, and use visual prompts like arrows and buttons for greater conversion
- Colour is important. Studies how that orange and red are best performing buttons
- Show how the offer is relevant to your business
- Focus on the benefits the reader will be receiving
- Use the word “my” not “your”
- Include lots of white space for greater focus on your call to action
- Create a sense of urgency to act now with powerful words. See our list of examples below
Try these powerful to drive your audience to take immediate steps
- hot special
- limited time
While these phrases may seem simple, they are powerful. Including power terms in your call to action will to tap into emotions, create enthusiasm and garner an immediate response.
As an online business, the last thing you want is your audience to leave your website and think about your offer. You want them to act now, to buy your products immediately, or sign up for services right now.
Ending your communications, whether they are blogs, social media posts, ads or newsletters with a call to action ensures you are driving your audience to take action.
Now it’s your turn: don’t be shy! Need help boosting your client base? Get the sales you deserve. Call us today!